Skip to main content

There are many resources available to help student with ADHD/LD be successful in college! Here we have listed some useful websites, apps/technology, videos, and books. Also check out our own resource for Online and Remote Learning Tips for Students with ADHD.

Web Resources

Some of the most helpful information about ADHD available online can be found on the websites of Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (, ADDitude Magazine (, the Attention Deficit Disorder Association (, and Understood ( Here are some links to introduce you to these resources.

Top Five Webpages

About the National Resource Center on ADHD
Help for ADHD
ADHD Fact Sheets & Infographics
CHADD: Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
Additude Magazine
Attention Deficit Disorder Association

Further Web Resources




Technology has made managing ADHD easier. Innovations in technology can help with taking better notes, focusing, organizing tasks and assignments, studying, relaxing, and more. While new tools surface constantly, some of our current favorites are listed below.


Focus—Time Manager
Forest—Stay Focused
BFT—Bear Focus Timer
Revibe Wrist Band

Note taking

Microsoft OneNote
LiveScribe Smart Pen




AnkiApp Flashcards
Khan Academy


Beeline Reader
Audio books

White Noise


Waking up

Freaky Alarm


7 Minute Workout


If you are interested in learning more about ADHD, especially as it relates to young adults and college students, you may find the following videos helpful. For more videos on ADHD/LD, make sure to check out past Burnett Seminars as well.

How to (Explain) ADHD
Adults, How Is Your ADHD Brain Different?
Learn More about ADHD at CHADD
On Their Own: Helping College Students with ADHD


Numerous books have been written about ADHD and about ADHD and the college experience. Many offer not only a better understanding of ADHD, but also tips, strategies, and answers to questions about being successful in college and beyond.

Top 5 picks

Sarkis, Stephanie M. Ph.D. 2008. Making the Grade with A+DD—A Student’s Guide to Succeeding in College with Attention Deficit Disorder. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications, Inc.

Zaghi, Arash Ph.D. 2019. ADHD: The College Experience—How to Make It Through College and Reach your Potential by Embracing your Unique Strengths.

Puryear, Douglas A. M.D. 2012. Your Life Can Be Better-Using Strategies for Adult Add/ADHD. Minneapolis, MN: Mill City Press.

Quinn, Patricia O. M.D. 2012. AD/HD and the College Student—The Everything Guide to Your Most Urgent Questions. Washington, DC: Magination Press.

Mooney, J. and Cole, D. 2000. Learning Outside the Lines. New York, NY: Simon & Shuster.

Further Reading

Boissiere, P. 2018.Thriving with ADHD—Skills to Strengthen Executive Functioning. Emeryville, CA: Althea Press.

Barkley, Russell A. Ph.D. 2010. Taking Charge of Adult ADHD. New York, NY: The Guilford Press.

Brown, T. Ph.D. 2014. Smart But Stuck—Emotions in Teens and Adults with ADHD. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

Hallowell, E.M. M.D. and Ratey, J.J. M.D. 2011. Driven to Distraction. New York, NY: Anchor Books.

Maitland, T.E.L. Ph.D. and Quinn, P.O. M.D. 2011. Ready for Take-Off—Preparing Your Teen With ADHD or LD for College. Washington, DC: Magination Press.

Mooney, J. 2019. Normal Sucks—How to Live, Love, and Thrive Outside the Lines. New York, NY: Henry Holt and Company.

Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 4.0 License.
You may reproduce it for non-commercial use if you use the entire handout and attribute the source: The Learning Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

If you enjoy using our handouts, we appreciate contributions of acknowledgement.

Make a Gift