Download the Word Document: Attention Checks Word Document
Download the PDF: Attention Checks PDF
Attention Checking is a helpful self-monitoring strategy used to boost efficiency and productivity when working or studying. This tool will help you monitor, sustain, and evaluate your attention while completing your tasks.
- Choose the task you want to complete
- Pick the total length of time you want to work/study
- Choose your number of attention check intervals, and the length of your intervals. The interval lengths should be based on how long you typically sustain full attention.
- Set a timer for the interval time of your choosing (e.g. 5 mins, 10 mins, 15 mins)
- When the timer goes off, determine whether you are on task (Y) or off task (N), and mark the corresponding interval box. If you find that you’re off-task, redirect yourself!
- After the study session, evaluate how many times you were on or off-task, and adjust your approach accordingly.
REMEMBER: The UNC Learning Center is a great resource! Both Peer Tutoring and Academic Coaching can help you create a balanced approach to succeeding at Carolina. Our friendly staff is ready to help – drop by or make an appointment!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 4.0 License.
You may reproduce it for non-commercial use if you use the entire handout and attribute the source: The Learning Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
If you enjoy using our handouts, we appreciate contributions of acknowledgement.